Monday, February 18, 2013

Monsters and puppies are less scary than butterflies

We took the kids to their first IMAX movie today: Flight of the Butterflies in 3D. (It was actually my first experience with 3D as well.)

I thought it would be a good choice, since a.) Butterflies! That's age-appropriate and not scary! and b.) It was only 45 minutes long or so, and I figured that with popcorn as a special treat during the show it'd be smooth sailing. What actually happened is that every single Winslow except me dropped their popcorn before the show even started, and I realized my son had no problem eating popcorn off the floor.

Also, Isaac was terrified of the butterflies.

I shouldn't have been that surprised, I guess. We went to the Pacific Science Center a few weeks ago when my parents were visiting, and we all went through the Butterfly House -- one of my favorite things! -- but the Littlest Winslow was unnerved by the butterflies flitting everywhere and most definitely did not want any of them landing on him. But I thought butterflies on a screen would be pretty harmless. Except, 3D. It really did seem like the (HUGE ENORMOUS SIX-STORY) butterflies were right in our faces, and when they're that close to you, and that huge, butterfly faces do look a little alarming.

(Sidenote: The 3D experience was so cool, though. I think my favorite part was watching my daughter and several other children around us reach their little hands out to try to touch the butterflies and blades of grass because it seemed like they were right there in front of us.)

Anyway, not long into the film, some butterflies flew at us and Isaac tried frantically to bat them away, tossing a bunch of his popcorn in the air as he did so. He burst into tears and said, "It's too scary! It's too scary!" So he spent the duration of the film in Matt's lap, mostly refusing to look and also refusing to allow Matt to remove his arm from where it was tightly wrapped around him. Oh, it was sweet.

Later, at home, Isaac and I had the following conversation while I helped him into his jammies.

Me: Did you like the movie, Isaac?
Isaac: No. The butterflies were too scary for me.
Me: But did you like the cool glasses?
Isaac: Yeah!
Me: So do you think you might want to go see a different movie there sometime?
Isaac (brightening): Yeah! A movie about monsters!
Me: Monsters? You don't think monsters would be scarier than butterflies?
Isaac: What about puppies? I like puppies.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shari, such a short blog but thanks for letting me peep into your wonderful life as a mom and a movie partner for Isaac. I smiled and laughed. I am a little teary-eyed too. Somehow, this was written in a way that touched me personally. I adore your Isaac too! Puppies are great, monsters are fine but butterflies - no way, they are too powerful, they can fly away!

Anonymous said...

Shari, I love your short blog. I adore your Isaac too. I guess, puppies are great, monsters are fine but butterflies - no way, they are way too powerful, they fly! I smiled, laughed and almost cried. Interesting blog, I surely loved it!

Shari said...

Tanisha, thanks so much! I do love my Isaac, too ;) So glad my little story made you smile -- I do, too, every time I think of it.