Friday, September 16, 2011

Things that make my heart burst, things that make me smile

Just a bit ago I asked Suzannah if she was excited to go to the fair tomorrow. She replied that she'd rather go to kindergarten.

"But there's no school tomorrow," I explained.

"But I like school," she said.

"I know, Bug, but it's Saturday. No one will be at your school."

She pondered this rather sadly for a moment but brightened when I mentioned that we could go on rides together, maybe, or she could go on some by herself because Mommy is pretty much scared of all the rides.

"We could go on the big blue ride, though," she said. "We did that last year."

"We did, yeah, but that one is pretty scary for me." (It really is. I don't even know what it is, it's this thing that goes around in a big scary fast circle, and she is technically big enough to go with an adult but JUST BARELY, and so last year we went on it together and I was so terrified we'd both go flying off that if you look very, very closely I'm sure my finger marks are still visible from where I was clutching her. And no, it wasn't the merry-go-round, it was something VERY BIG AND SCARY that has since become known as the Big Blue Ride and that's all I can tell you.)

"But Mommy," she said, "I'll be right there with you."

So I promised to try my hardest to be brave.

And so as not to neglect my second child: Oh, he so desperately wants to be a Big Boy. He's really into doing "projects" -- he has remarkable concentration if you give him art supplies. My mom noticed this when we were at their house last month; he'd have spent all day at the easel in the garage if he could. He loves to draw. He loves to sit at the little white IKEA table his sister has long since claimed she's too big for, and he looks like such a little preschooler. (Even though he's not even two, so I don't know how I feel about this.) His language is exploding; until now he's been a man of few words, although he has always been good for random joyful screams. Now he's learning to use please appropriately, he shrieks "Doggie!" all day long, yells "NUH!" when he wants to nurse, and he can ask for books and balls and milk and more and crackers and apples and bananas. (Although Suzannah is also Nana, so I have to rely on context clues.) My favorite thing he says, though, is dup. Dup = "Yep," as far as I can tell.

"Isaac, would you like some more milk?"

"Dup!"

"Isaac, would you like to draw?"

"Dup!"

"Isaac, are you poopy right now? Do you need a new diaper?"

"Dup!"

It is pretty wonderful to be so perpetually delighted by the people I live with.

No comments: