Thursday, September 25, 2008

At least they don't say ANTEE-GAWN this year...

I know I've said I won't write about school on this blog, and that's still mostly true, but raise your hand if you could use a good laugh today? That's what I thought. This little gem is too good not to share.

First of all, let me say that I love my sophomores this year. (Actually, I love all four of my classes -- isn't that scary? I always thought it was a rule that at least one class per year will have you drinking wine straight from the bottle on Friday nights.) My sophomores are just so stinking adorable this year. A little loud, and very fifteen, and lacking in filters between their brains and their mouths, but mostly really cute.

Anyway, today they were working in groups. Each group was assigned a different theme from Antigone (think ancient Greek tragedy) and they were making these big charts relating to that theme, using quotes from the play to support it, blah blah blah. So I'm hanging back, just watching them work and listening to them chatter, and I notice one boy drawing a pig on his chart. More specifically, drawing a person in a toga holding a leash with a pig on the end of it.

Me: Hi. Um, why is there a pig on your Antigone chart?

Kid: I thought that instead of a dog, they had a pig.

Me: WHO had a pig?

Kid: The family! You know, like instead of having a family dog, they had a family pig.

Me: There is no dog. There is no pig. WHERE in the play is there a pig?

Kid: In the rough draft? It didn't make the cut?

That was ten hours ago and I still can't stop laughing about it.

No comments: